About Us
Aims and Strategy
Board Meetings
Members Only
General News
Sponsor AOHNP
Discussion Forum

Membership and Insurance


AOHNP membership £66 pa (£33 pa for students and £55 pa for associates)

Benefits - Regional and national support and advice, specialist advisory network, dissemination of information via the website, newsletter and online networks, professional develop events and other resources and representation on various bodies.

Insurance premiums are based on risk and previous claim history and different insurance provider apply them in different ways. They may set premiums for whole sectors of people i.e. health or for groups within the sector i.e. occupational health. Some may only provide some services for employed practitioners and some may also cover employing practitioners, with an increase in premium due to additional potential liability.

For more information about Insurance I suggest you check out the COHPA website. http://www.cohpa.co.uk/join-us/insurance

The RCN scheme does not cover you if you are employed under a contract of employment. This is because in those circumstances the employer is vicariously liable for the actions of the OH nurse; claims are inevitably directed against the employer in those circumstances (i.e. the employee has been negligent in the course of her employment); hence the employer will ordinarily have an appropriate indemnity arrangement in place for the negligence of employees; and this cover will generally satisfy the requirements of the NMC, for example. The RCN scheme continues to provide cover for self-employed nurses, provided that they satisfy the remaining rules of the scheme. Full details of the RCN scheme rules may be found on the RCN website.


It is important that you are certain of your employment status and  that you do have appropriate cover. We are fortunate to have a close working relationship with Unite  who offer professional indemnity insurance  http://www.unitetheunion.org/contactus/

Some members get business insurance (Medipro) and professional indemnity insurance through Brett and Randall. Joanne Salt of Brett and Randall is happy to talk to members and advise on individual circumstances (jsalt@brettandrandll.co.uk). http://brettandrandall.co.uk/corporate/medipro/

The MDU offer professional indemnity cover (I personally use the MDU, with a separate business insurance policy) and clinical advice for their members, but do not cover what they consider to be employment issues.     http://www.themdu.com/choose-mdu .

There is certainly no ‘one size fits all’ answer to insurance cover for OH professionals - it not only depends on your employment status, but what sort of work you are doing as to what cover is best for you. 

Diane Romano-Woodward
Professional Development Director
September 2014